Standards of Admission

Certifying Academic Eligibility

The following are our academic admissions requirements.

Undergraduate: Documentation of High School Graduation or Equivalent

Undergraduate students may certify their academic eligibility either:

1) by providing any of the following items of documentation:

a)    A copy of a high school diploma.

b)    A copy of a final, official high school transcript that shows the date when the diploma was awarded.

c)    A copy of a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or GED transcript that indicates the student passed the exam.

d)    Certification of a passing score on a test that the student’s state authorizes and recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma. This includes tests similar to the GED, such as the High School Equivalency Test or the Test Assessing Secondary Completion. A test transcript is also acceptable if it indicates that the final score is a passing score or that the student’s state considers the test results to meet its high school equivalency requirements.

e)    A copy of the “secondary school leaving certificate” or similar document from the proper government agency for students who completed secondary school in a foreign country.

f)     An academic transcript that indicates the student successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree at any participating school, such as an associate’s degree program.

g)    A copy of a secondary school completion credential for homeschool (other than a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent), if state law requires homeschooled students to obtain that credential.

h)   A transcript or the equivalent, signed by the parent or guardian of a homeschooled student, that lists the secondary school courses the student completed and documents the successful completion of a secondary school education in a homeschool setting, if this is acceptable proof according to state law.

2)    When allowed by federal regulations, by completing an online self-certification form of their high school graduation or equivalent indicating the institution name, city, state, and year of graduation, which is electronically signed.

a)  Note – students that complete an online self-certification form may be subject to a random verification request of the university. Should a student be selected for random verification, the student will need to submit an official high school transcript or equivalent document before they can enroll in the next term.


Government Issued Identification and Exam Proctors (all students)

At the beginning of their first term and before they take their first proctored exam, students must:

Email a copy of a government-issued photo ID to Students may either scan in their ID or take a photo of their ID with a digital camera or smartphone.

Select an exam proctor and have him or her be approved by the organization.

College or university transcripts must be official copies from the institution. Electronic copies should be sent directly from the institution to Physical copies should be mailed from the institution to: Hartwell University, 10000 N. Central Expressway, Suite 400, Dallas, Texas 75231.

Additional Admissions Policies and Information

Provisional Acceptance

All students must be accepted by Hartwell University through the admissions process.  Students that are accepted are done so provisionally and are not considered fully matriculated students until they have successfully passed 18 credits worth of courses with Hartwell University for undergraduate students.

English Proficiency Requirement for Non-native English Speakers

Prospective students whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an appropriately accredited institution where English is the principal language of instruction must demonstrate college-level proficiency in English through one of the following for admission:  

Requirements for Dual Enrollment: College Credits while in High School

High school students may also enroll in Hartwell University for dual enrollment credit. As per our accreditor’s policies, these students may only enroll if it does not interfere with their high school studies.

Dual enrollment students do not qualify for financial aid, and thus are not required to submit the documentation of high school graduation or equivalent which is required of other students. Rather, they are admitted on the basis of a signed letter of approval from their parent(s) or guardian(s) granting permission and verifying that taking college courses will not interfere with their high school education.

This letter should be sent to the registrar’s office via email to or by mail to Hartwell University, 10000 N. Central Expressway, Suite 400, Dallas, Texas 75231.

Statement of Non-Discrimination

Hartwell University does not discriminate in its admissions because of race, sex, color, creed, age, religion, or national origin or any characteristic protected by law.

On Site Requirements

Hartwell University courses are delivered totally over the Internet. Some courses have on-site requirements, however, that require access to the operations of a ministry or nonprofit.